How the historic environment can be conserved and managed in a way that secures its future.
The Heritage 2020 Framework document outlines the vision and priorities for collaboration for each working group. For the Constructive Conservation and Sustainable Management theme, this is:
- By 2020 there will be ever more effective management of the historic environment through the planning system.
- The historic environment sector will continue to demonstrate its role in promoting economic growth and be increasingly recognised as a positive contributor.
- We will have improved the resilience of historic assets to the impacts of climate change and social and economic forces for change.
- Heritage’s owners and government will jointly recognise the need to fund maintenance adequately.
- There will be a shared understanding of how best to adapt the built environment sympathetically, to secure its future and conserve its historic significance through new use.
- The overall condition of the historic environment will be better than it is now and cherished assets will be in beneficial use. Heritage at Risk registers will help monitor progress.